Monday, April 2, 2012

Hello Again


Okay!!!  So I have obviously been gone for awhile from the blog, but I am ready to get back at it.  I wanted to let you know what I have been doing over the past several weeks.  Basically, I have been continuing my research into the card cataloging.  Thus far I am up to 210 memories and counting.  I often find myself remembering something new after I think I am done.  After I was able to write down many of my memories I realized I needed to start making my own Duey Decimal System...or a "Rachel Decimal System".  This way I can figure out how I'm going to organize my memories into a value system.  I decided that I would have 7 different categories ranging from My Grandma's House, My Mom's House, Family Events, to School.  Then within each category there are sub category's.  For example, My Grandma's House has the sub categories of Kitchen, Living Room, Bedroom, Outside, and so on.  And each of these also has sub categories.  It took awhile to come up with this system so that each of my memories had a place in it.  But, I was finally able to make it, including a cooresponding number to each category.  

So, this past week I have been trying to organize my memories into the correct category with the correct decimal number.  Here are some of the categories with my memories listed.  I apologize for the bad quality of the first image.  


I haven't gotten to numbering these next two categories.




In addition to the catalog cards I have been getting ready for a show in the "Passages Gallery" in North College Hill.  This show is a group show that my fellow classmates and I are going to be in from April 14th to mid May.  There is limited space in this gallery so I decided to explore something that I have been curious about trying: painting on the books.  About a year ago I wanted to paint overlaid portraits on a large wall of books.  But, I lost interest and decided not to do it.  I have still been interested in doing it occasionally and I think doing it on a smaller scale would be a good way for me to see how it would look.  Since the space is small the piece is only 2' x 2'.  Here is the project after I put a couple layers on it.

 And here it is after a few more layers.  I was not completely happy with it.  I felt like it didn't stand out enough.  I got really frustrated and I had to take a whole day to not look at it because I couldn't figure out what to do to make the piece better.

After sitting for a day I decide to apply paint a lot more thickly, with heavier and larger brush strokes.  After just one layer I started to feel so much better about it.  I think in total I added 7+ layers of portraits. Here are two different views of the portrait.  I did add a little extra paint after this picture, but I am a lot happier than I was before.



Okay, It was nice to talk to you once again.  I will return to update you on my progress.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment