Thursday, April 5, 2012

Typing

Bonjour my followers!!!  It is nice to be back at it discussing my progression in my artwork.  To begin with I finished organizing all of my memories yesterday.  It was a lot of work as I needed to remember the years and which memories came first.  I counted today, and thus far I have a total of 329 memories that are recorded.  I was not expecting such a large number, but I am happy with it.  I think the bigger the bulk the better.  It will demonstrate my concept better.  

Today I started typing them out so that I could figure out the set up I liked best.  Here is an image of the typewriter I used. 


Here is an image of the inside of the typewriter.  I love things like this.  There is so much history in it as well as a grittiness to it.  I knew if I was going to catalog my memories there needed to be a much more vintage and historical nature to the words, instead of the perfection of the computer. 
  

I was able to get 18 cards typed once I figured out the right set up.  Here is one of the cards
I'm hoping to stamp below the words the dates that I have accessed these memories.  It will be like I'm mixing a catalog card with a check out card.


Here is another example.  I messed up on part of this one, but I was able to go back over it with the "=" sign on the typewriter.  Despite its lack of perfection, I find that showing the imperfections is better.  It demonstrates my human struggle to remember what once was. 



Okay, so here is something different that I have been working on that is exploring this cataloging aspect of exploring memories; or preserving what once was.  I thought it would be interesting to apply my interest in image transfers to the idea of cataloging memories.  It would be archaeological, as though these images were discovered and are now being preserved.  Almost like a museum.  I hope I am making sense.  I did this by covering a piece of wood with caulking so that it looked like sediment.  Then, I took an ink jet image and transferred it to the caulking with water.  It is extremely faded, but it has a distant memory facade to it. 


  This is the original image after I transferred it


Here is another one


And another one


And the original image


And another piece


I am really intrigued by these, especially the process of transferring the images.  But, before I make anymore I am going to get some feedback in a critique.  The catalog cards however are going to take some time, so I am going to hop right in there and keep typing!!!

I'll talk to you soon

Rachel



1 comment: