Friday, April 27, 2012

An Update

It has been a week or two since I have posted and I am returning for an update. Things have been crazy this week and I have a lot of news.  I'm going to start from the beginning.  I had my Passages Gallery Show right after I posted last.  It went really well and the gallery was a lot nicer than I thought it would be.  The only bad thing was that the walls had a large cork board type thing where the pieces went.  It probably would have looked nicer if the walls were all white.  However, it was a nice experience and there was a good turn out.  I actually forgot to get a better picture of my piece, but I managed to get this piece from far away.  My piece is the second from the right.  I'll get a better picture after the show.



Secondly, I had a critique recently where my professor was a little concerned that I wouldn't have enough room for my book wall, so she suggested that if I can't get enough room in DAAPworks that I show the catalog cards.  So, I have been working on those a lot lately.  This is how much I have gotten done so far.  I am in the 4th section out of 7.  I am pleased with the progress of the catalog cards, but I have to put them on hold.

I met with the man that runs the galleries at UC to see if I would be able to use the wall of books and where he thinks it would look best.  The meeting went really well.  There gallery consists of exterior walls that go from floor to ceiling roughly 12-13 feet tall.  There are also free standing walls that are 10 feet tall.  I had always felt that my piece would look nice on the free standing wall.  However, the gallery owner believed that it would look nice on the exterior walls, and that I should make my wall of books larger.  Aesthetically, he said that he could see the piece going from floor to ceiling.  And guess what???  That's what I'm going to do!!!!  

I have 5 weeks to add 4-5 ft. more of books.  I panicked at first, but I am much calmer now.  I figured out how many I needed to make and I decided to cut a lot of the books into thirds so that I didn't have too make so many.  On Wednesday and Thursday I warped 68 books in total.  I also cut 9 books into 22 pieces.  So, I think I will only need to warp another 50 books and i should have enough.  It's going to be a lot of work, but I think that my piece will look so much better.  I am really excited about it.  

I have also made a website!!!  It is still in progress, but I have it published so you can check it out.  I need to add more images still, which requires getting nice images of my work.  But feel free to check it out.  Here is a link to the home page.  


I will talk to you soon with updates on the books!!!!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment