Monday, March 5, 2012

Oops

I realized I forgot to talk about what I have been doing this past week while the show was up...so I'll just make a new post out of it.   I loved the idea of labeling and identifying the specimen like pieces for the dry run show.  I wanted to take this idea and incorporate it with my books or even just the idea of memory.  I started researching different ways to label and organize information in a storage or museum type way.  There are obviously display cases, frames, and  labeling everything with a number.  But, then I researched different ways to catalog things and I came across catalog cards for a library.  I was immediately intrigued by the nature of them and how they can be piled and interconnected with one another.  Many libraries have various versions of these cards that all interconnect.  I felt very compelled to use this to catalog my memories.  

I have realized that I hold onto all of memories of my grandma so that I don't forget who she was.  So that I can recall who she was and a specific memory at any point in time.  I felt that cataloging the memories was the best way to achieve this.  In order to do this I needed to truly understand the cataloging process as well as the duey decimal system.  Eventually I will create my own system to organize my memories by number.  All in all, I would like to create several different systems of cards that are interconnected.  This may include the memories of others as well.  

Here is a picture of a card catalog system at yale university.  Although I wont do anything this big, I would like to fill a lot of drawers with catalog cards. 

       http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Yale_card_catalog.jpg 

Here is a picture of a catalog card so you can get an idea of what they might look like. 

   http://www.libraryhistorybuff.org/images/catalog-card-loc-90.jpg

So thus far I have been writing down my memories of my grandmother so that I can start to figure out how I will organize them and what information I will put on the card.  I have a little over 100 written down and I am continuing to write them.  It is not comparatively a lot to how many cards are in a library.  But, I am curious to see how many I can actually write down.  We will see.  I did want to combine the cards with my wall of books and the polyurethane squares somehow, but I do not want to just force it on to them.  So, I am going to start off with the writing down my memories and beginning to catalog them on cards and then I will see where it takes me.  I will write to you soon

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment