Monday, February 6, 2012

Planning

I'm back again!!!!!!!  Through this past week I have been trying to figure out how my wall of books is going to pan out and what other elements I am going to add to it.  I had been contemplating doing the lights with the blurred images for awhile.  I do like them very much, but I don't know that I like them as a whole for this specific piece.  So, I have been exploring other options and I want to share with you some of these ideas today.  

Last year when this idea for the books first came about, I had started doing the overlaying portraits that I showed you in my first blog entry.  I then thought it might be interesting to do one of these portraits on top of the book wall.  Yet, the idea changed over the summer and I wasn't into it anymore.  However, I have been discussing with my professor my dilemma with these books and he again suggested the portrait overlays.  So, I decided that I should start doing these portraits again on paper and maybe next quarter I can do one on a a section of books. 
Here are two of the overlays I have done.  The first is a small 12" x 12" and the second is 18" x 24".




I like the second one a lot better (the first one looks a little funny) and I do think it would be cool to have the portrait on top of the books.  I think that I just want that to be a side thing.  So, that is what I will have to do.  I may have to make more books for that.  But, my hope is that I will be able to do at least one by next quarter even if it is not extremely large.


The next thing I have been looking at is the idea of incorporating the polyurethane look in with the books.   If I could have all of the books look like they are being pushed back like the images in the polyurethane squares then I would be beyond happy.  The only issue is that polyurethane takes a really long time to dry and I need something that can be extra thick and not take months to dry.  So, I started investigating clear plastic resin.  I found a quart container at Michael's and I also got a catalyst, transparent dyes, goggles, gloves, and a mask.  It was a day long process to pour all the resin and sit the book inside of it.  I ended up using the entire container...which was $30.00....all to cover one book.  

The look turned out really cool, I am just nervous about the price. 

Here is a close up. 

  And here is a side view.

It looks really cool, but if that's all I get for $30.00 can you imagine what it would be like for all of the 100's of books I have...I don't have that much money.  And it can be pretty toxic...So using all of that makes me nervous health wise.  I have a critique this week and I plan to discuss with my senior thesis professors my dilemma and the ideas I have been thinking about.  Maybe they can give me some better ideas.

On to the last thing.  So, in discussing not knowing what to do to my wall of books my professor also suggested doing a painting over the books.  But, instead of it being extremely thick like the portraits, it would be very subtle through ink washes.  I would do a blurred image of my family or my grandmother or an image that has resonated with me while working on my senior thesis.  It would be so subtle that it may not be even visible at certain times.  To see what this looks like I printed off an image of what my book wall would look like then I printed off a blurred family picture onto a transparency and overlapped it.  This is the result.


Its extremely faint, but I like that about it.  But, with this image if you angle it at all there is a little more clarity with the image. 


I don't know if that will happen if I did ink washes over the books, but that would be very cool if it did.  
For the time being I plan on getting all of the books glued to wood so that I can have them all up on the wall and then I will go from there.  I will talk to you soon.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment