Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Progress

I've been working diligently the past week to the point that my hands are covered in gel medium and both my home and my studio are filled with many many many books.  I last counted and I have warped 107 books in a week...amazed?  I am.  I have never warped that many books that fast.  Now I have to wait for them to dry completely before I can cut them in half.  That part actually scares me.  Originally I was cutting them with a saw, which took me forever because my muscles are weak and scrawny.  So, I ponned the job off to my boyfriend, and he was not too happy.  Then I started cutting the books on a miter saw before warping them, but I didnt like how they looked as much.  And finally I come to my last venture which was within this past week.  I decided to ask if I could cut the warped book on one of the machines.  (You should know before I go on that I have a tendency to get anxiety really easy and over silly things).  So, my anxiety was kicking into overdrive and I made a friend come with me to ask because I was so scared.  After I asked the shop worker...he looked at me like I was completely stupid, asked if I had a badge, and then told me what machine to cut it on.  As I approached the band saw my heart was racing, my face beat red, and my voice a little squeely.  I turned the machine on and pushed the book through...with utter relief the book was cut perfectly in half with no issues.  Although I will be terrified for awhile at least its fast and a lot easier than a hand saw.

Anywho, Here are some photos of my studio yesterday.


These books are sitting up to dry more, and so they don't get mold on them...which has happened before.


Here are some books I just warped.


And here's some more. 


Insanity I know!!!  I look like a hoarder.  Well, a sophisticated one since I only hoard books.  I guess that makes it sound better...sort of. 

Alrighty, signing off tonight.  I shall show you some more progress and ideas soon...and I'll have to get a picture of my room at home with 60 books covering the ground!  It's breathtakingly crazy!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment