Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pictures

I have been working on the portraits of my grandmother recently trying to go bigger and finding the correct time to give myself as well as the right brush to get the same look as the smaller ones.  Here are the 4" portraits all together.

I moved onto 12" portraits.  I am happy with them now looking back at them.  However, at the time I was not pleased with them.  I think it is because I was thinking too much about trying to achieve a certain look.  I kept changing the time and the brush I was using and trying to math to find the correct ratio of these paintings to the smaller ones.  Yes, I know...too much analyzing.  But, that is my nature and in certain situations it is more prominent than others.  So, I finally let go and just went with it and painted.


Here are a few more 12" ones I did.  

           I then moved onto 18" portraits.  I am trying to be gradual before I jump to a larger size.

I am pleased with the one below particularly.  I am not quite sure why, maybe the lack of painted information but the fact that it is giving off so much more info.


 I have also been exploring tape transfers.  I have been using ink jet images on computer paper.  Then I cover them in packaging tape.  I soak the image in water for a bit and the paper comes off of the tape leaving a very faint outline of the image.  It has a very haunting effect and reminds me of....drum roll...a memory (did you expect anything less).  After the tape drys I put it on translucent paper or cream colored paper.






I also printed a picture onto this transparent thick plastic.  It is used by quilters to make templates.  Now since the plastic is waxy the ink doesn't really stick to it, instead it beads up on the plastic.  So, I put some medium down on a piece of paper and then I put the plastic picture down.  It made them image bleed a little and created a weird splotchy look.  So, I am definitely interested in doing some more of those. 


That's where I am at right now.  I have polyurethane drying, books drying, tape transfers drying, and resin drying too.  I will update you when the drying has come to a halt. 

Rachel






No comments:

Post a Comment