Thursday, January 5, 2012

Beginnings

Hello Everyone!  Welcome to my first blog post.  Clearly you can read my name is Rachel Nieman and that I am from Cincinnati, OH.  I am an art lover as well as an art student at the University of Cincinnati.  Its going to be a crazy year this year as it is my senior year and I am gearing up for my senior thesis show.  Its gonna be a fun but wild ride.

In general I am focused on the idea of memory and how it affects us.  When I was younger I lost my grandmother whom I was very close with.  It was probably one of the hardest things I have ever gone through and I still battle it today.  I battle with making sure I remember her.  I don't want to forget what she looks like, what we did together, the relationship we had, and who I am now because of her.  It will have been 8 years this February 8th and I just cant believe it.  It has been hard not having her there for many big days of my life and the many more to come.

I know that I was always drawn toward art even when she was still alive, but I think her passing truly pushed me to want to pursue art as a career.  When I was hurting after she died I turned to art to help deal with everything.  After awhile I tried to abandon this to move on, but the past two years, especially, I realized how much I need to explore with the memory of her.  I have not resolved everything and my thesis work is an attempt to do such.   In general though my work is revolving memory, some are more specific to my grandmother than others.

Anywho, I hope you enjoy my blogging and my artwork!!!!

I guess I can start out with some past photos of my work to give you an idea what my work is like and works in progress in my studio.

This is my primary work in progress.  I have been working with books by warping them and cutting them in half.  I plan to post them onto the wall like you see above.  I would like to cover a whole wall, but right now this is all I have so far.  

 
    This is the second main item I have been working on.  I started looking at my connection to my grandmother and my mother and my great grandmother by drawing our portraits over top one another so you could see them through one another.  I stopped doing these about a month or two ago to focus on warping books, but I am planning on returning back to them.

Alrighty!  My first successful post and a long one at that...I will talk to you soon!

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment